Sunnyside is a neighborhood in Staten Island, NY, and is situated on the western shore of the island, bordering Richmondtown and Huguenot.
Sunnyside is famous for its annual celebration of Sunnyside Day, which occurs every July. During the celebration, there are bands that play in front of the Odd Fellows Lodge.
Sunnyside was originally settled as part of Richmond County in 1691 and was included in Richmond Town. Wellington Avenue was the original center of Sunnyside’s commerce.
Sunnyside is well known for its historic homes. The neighborhood is also full of many architectural styles, including Victorian, Art Deco, Streamline Moderne, and Italianate.
There are numerous short shops along its main thoroughfare, Castleton Avenue. Sunnyside was built on hilly terrain filled with woodlands that were prime hunting grounds for Native Americans.
Sunnyside has been used as a site for several cemeteries. The oldest of these is Green-Wood Cemetery, which was founded in 1838 and is located on the border with Flatbush, Brooklyn. The other two cemeteries were Mount Richmond Cemetery and Westview Cemetery. Mount Richmond opened in 1886, and Westview Cemetery was established in 1888.
Westview Cemetery is New York City’s second-largest cemetery, at 478 acres. The site includes a pond that attracts herons and egrets. In 1917, the German Society of Staten Island erected a monument to its members who fell during World War I. It is the only memorial in the United States established by a German-American association that is dedicated to Americans who fought for Germany.
The Staten Island Zoo, which opened in 1936, was originally established as an attraction within Westview Cemetery. It grew sparser over the years due to a lack of funds, and access to the cemetery’s entrance became restricted. However, the zoo still remains open today.
The zoo is home to pumas, monkeys, zebras, kangaroos, tigers, ostriches, penguins, meerkats, and more. More than 1.2 million people visit the zoo every year.
It also has a carousel that was built in 1912 and is the oldest operating carousel in New York City.
Notable residents of Sunnyside have included U.S. Representative Henry W. Austin, who served in the 69th Congress from 1923 to 1925; and Daniel Lardner (1885–1933), a sportswriter and sports editor for the New York American (today known as the New York Post) who wrote about baseball under the pen name Ring Lardner.
In the 1860s, Major Joseph Huntley resided at 888 Richmond Terrace and operated a ferry from Port Richmond to Perth Amboy, New Jersey. In addition, Augustus Brenchley lived at 948 Broadway and was a noted horticulturalist.
GO 4 Junk Removal Staten Island is located at 83 Meisner Ave, Staten Island, NY 10306. From Sunnyside, Head southwest on Oswego St toward Ontario Ave, then turn left onto Renwick Ave, Renwick Ave turns left and becomes Milford Dr, now turn right onto Ocean Terrace, then turn left onto Manor Rd, then take slight left to stay on Manor Rd and continue straight onto Meisner Ave. Finally, you have now reached your destination, and it’s on the right.